Sunday, August 15, 2010

Installing Linksys EG1032 V3 Gigabit Network card on Windows 7 x64

It figures that Linksys doesn't make a x64 driver for their EG1032 V3 gigabit card that I got many years ago. I kinda figured that Windows 7 would be able to find a driver for it anyway, but no such luck.

Well, after some research (and trial and error) I figured out a solution. The EG1032 is built upon a realtek chipset, so why not just use their driver? It turns out that works perfectly. Here are the steps to install a driver:

1. In Windows Device Manager, open the network adapter that doesn't have the driver installed and click on Update Driver Software.

2. Choose Browse My Computer

3. Choose Let me Pick

4. Choose Network Adapters

5. Wait for the list to populate, then choose 'Realtek' in the left column and '8169/8110 Family' in the right column

6. A popup will come up warning you that this is not recommended because windows can't verify the hardware and driver are comparable. Click OK.

7. Driver will install, and will now work. Hooray.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog was posted a little over two years ago and I stumble accross it using Google search. I have to say, BRAVO...since I had this computer on a domain, I don't have to make changes in my DNS and DHCP....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy farts. I would always like to publish step by step instructions when I overcome small specific issues like this. Thanks for taking the time to help us all out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send you my thanks as well. A nearby lightning hit took out my on-board Ethernet connection. I found an old LinkSys card but had a hard time getting it working... until I stumbled upon this blog entry.

    ReplyDelete